Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:46 am 
And coming up next: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniometry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57 am 
Any disaffected Austrians in the house?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 pm 
Josef Fritzl did badly with Father's Day cards this year, apparently ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 pm 
Paranormalhandy wrote:
Josef Fritzl did badly with Father's Day cards this year, apparently ...

Nearly a "new pants required" situation when I read this one.

Post subject: Re: Appliance of science
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm 

Zanussi wrote:

So that's everyone nicely packaged then.

Oh shit - hang on - that doesn't include the millions upon millions of bisexuals in the world.

This would, however, indicate that sexuality is nature and not nurture as people used to think in the Stone Age and is no different to a pre-disposition to being left or right handed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 pm 
Guildford Ghost wrote:
Zanussi wrote:

So that's everyone nicely packaged then.

Oh shit - hang on - that doesn't include the millions upon millions of bisexuals in the world.

This would, however, indicate that sexuality is nature and not nurture as people used to think in the Stone Age and is no different to a pre-disposition to being left or right handed.

What puzzles me is why are so called "scientists" wasting their time with bollocks like this? With a world full of real issue like climate change,disease, famine etc etc, you might think that they could better employ their time and, presumably lots of someone's money, doing something vaguely useful.

They might as well be conducting studies to identify the different brain characteristics which correspond with someone preferring vanilla icecream to rasberry ripple.

In fact I'll help them out by disclosing my findings on the subject:

Gay men are gay because they find other men attractive.

Lesbian women are lesbians because they find other women attractive

Bisexuals are just spoilt for choice

The rest of "us" are left in the unenviable position of being physically attracted to a set of people with whom we are emotionally incompatable and can't communicate effectively with.

Any scientists out there who are wrestling with the obvious and the irrelevant can PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:16 pm 
Runaground wrote:
What puzzles me is why are so called "scientists" wasting their time with bollocks like this?

"Scientists" like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEolSjlcqng

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:36 pm 
Runaground wrote:
What puzzles me is why are so called "scientists" wasting their time with bollocks like this? With a world full of real issue like climate change,disease, famine etc etc, you might think that they could better employ their time and, presumably lots of someone's money, doing something vaguely useful.

interesting first choice!!!

maybe if the scientists laid off that, the government would stop with the excuses to scaremonger money out of people when the planet is just going to do what it does regardless.

arrongance with a big old capital (literally) A to assume you can fuck something right up, then expect people to pay to get it back to how it was years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 pm 

Jabbsy wrote:
maybe if the scientists laid off that, the government would stop with the excuses to scaremonger money out of people when the planet is just going to do what it does regardless.

Passenger on the Titanic after it hits the iceberg: "I'm not sure why you're all running for the life boats. The boat is just going to do what it does regardless."

Sorry, that's just a horrible attitude. It wasn't fucked up out of arrogance(at least not at first). It was ignorance. And now people are just trying to make up for it and make sure the planet will still be livable for children, grandchildren, great grandchildren....etc. There probably are people who are trying to exploit it, but that shouldn't take away from the people who are actually trying to make a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:39 pm 

Guildford Ghost wrote:
Zanussi wrote:

Gay men are gay because they find other men attractive.

Lesbian women are lesbians because they find other women attractive

Bisexuals are just spoilt for choice

The rest of "us" are left in the unenviable position of being physically attracted to a set of people with whom we are emotionally incompatable and can't communicate effectively with.

Any scientists out there who are wrestling with the obvious and the irrelevant can PM me.

Good point, but not everyone thinks the way you do!

Also science is about understanding the way in which the mysteries of nature work...be it sexuality and the brain or how flowers grow or how electricity works...its not just responding to current affairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 pm 
Again, true. But a thread on a lefty, wool-hugging indie band's official website which started with an obvious open-ended right-wing-ish news link from a possible troll is hardly the place for scientific objectivity.

Oh, and even if there's no man-made global warming, there's nowt wrong with us being less mucky and more responsible pups, Jabbsy! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:18 pm 

Jabbsy wrote:

Perhaps. And perhaps we arent to blame for it - the blame lies with businesses past and present who think they can take what htey like from nature and governments who failed to do anything about it.

But that the planet will just do whatever and that somehow nature and us are two seperate entities (if thats what you meant, tho i'm not sure it is, but this is certainly an opinion i've heard before) is nonsensical. If you burn down 50% of the worlds' forests - with tress that "breathe in" carbon dioxide and forests that contain 1000s of species of plants and animals to replace it with farms with a handful of domesticated crops and anmimals - and expect it to have no effect then you're in dreamland. If you release carbon into the atmosphere we know it makes the ocean more acidic - killing the phitoplanton that again breathe in carbon dioxide and are the base of the food chain for over half the worlds species - and think you'll have no effect - then again youre living in dreamland! Similar things can be said of grasslands, wetlands, etc.

Yes - we've been doing these things for ages and ages - since we discovered agriculture about 12,000 years ago. But the pace at which we've been able to do it since the industrial revolution and the discovery of using fossil fuels (i.e. the sun's previous energy not current e.g. oil/gas) for power is now alarming.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:21 pm 
im not saying there is at all, and it'd be great if theres something left for the kids, grand kids etc. but i seriously doubt there will be and the bandwagon jumping "green" issue is just making a lot of money for a lot of people rather than it being the thing it SHOULD be - doing it because you want to and should because you respect yourself

lets face it, extinction of dinosaurs, the ice age, initial formation of planets and their destruction all happens without our help.... its just the natural way of things - and humans thinking they have a right to ownership of said planet isnt very realistic - and i think that IS a little arrogant

id very much like it if some big fuck off thing happened and wiped out a whole load of materialistic crap so some communities could start again - maybe then the world would stand a chance of lasting long enough for some peoples great great great grandkids and those said kids would have a bit more respect in the first place

dont get me wrong, itd be disastrous in "media terms" and im not sure if id want to be a survivor or not, im far too stuck in my materialistic comforts - but i just think its too far gone to do anything about it now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:43 pm 
Two things;

1) Oh how I wish I hadn't mentioned climate change.

2) If there " experiments" are justifiable on the basis that they help explain how "mysteries of nature work" would the same apply to all experiments? I suspect that if a bunch of scientists started experiments to see if there were any neurological explaination for the stereotypical differences between black, white and Asian people, there would be outrage. And rightly so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:16 pm 
its very stereotypical to assume there are stereotypical differences between black white and asian people

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:51 pm 
Zanussi wrote:

The main problems with these kind of brain researchers is that they are biology driven.
Even though they are supposedly themselves thinking human beings they completely forget (purposely?) that the brain THINKS.
And they never ever look at which impact THOUGHT has on those biological things have that they so masterfully and expensively research.
At least some of them have found out recently, what has been well known by others already: the link between thought and chemical stuff they observe happening in the brain. So that now they think they can tell a person's thought from what they see the brain do biologically. Surprise, surprise. They prefer to ignore it though, which you can see in depression research, because they earn their living doing biological, chemical, etc. research. They want to earn their living and the pharmaceutical industry wants to, too, so that they have no interest in people to know that the easiest way to get rid of depression is to change your thinking and with it your thought processes and all that goes on in the brain and that supposedly needs to be "cured" with antidepressants and similar crap stuff.
What I'd like those named researchers do is compare the attitudes of these people towards gender issues and sex and then compare their brain activities regardless of their sex. That would bring truly groundbreaking research results. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:56 pm 
You know what gets my green goat? People worrying about "carbon footprints" despite having absolutely no idea what the phrase actually means scientifically. Now, I don't know either - but then I don't bandy it about like this month's favourite catchphrase.

See also - "credit crunch".

(The main problem with manmade global denial is it does tend to be the provenance of Littlejohn-esque right wing commentators, which naturally gets my ire and suspicions up. Of course, there might be a strong argument that the changes are entirely cyclical - or even non-existent - but I'd rather not agree with the "Daily Mail" on ANYTHING).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:03 pm 
i dont have a carbon footprint.... just have a normal one and dont even see that when i walk on concrete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:37 am 
Greenpeace (1997)

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/james/greenpeace.html