It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 am 
Appreciate for some people this may be too private to discuss on a forum but would be interested to hear about anybody who does want to share stuff. For me personally the lyrics and music of the band have genuinely helped through tough and sometimes hideous times as well as resonating with those of great joy. I have read a little about Tims experiences and what he writes and the way he sings and conveys is very unique and special to me. I am passionate about my music but there is something that moves me in just so many ways with their music. Every album has a t least a few songs that get me directly in the heart and mind.
Born of frustration was huge for me at the time, the openng sent a shiver down my spine. Sound complemented that and was sometimes the difference between going out and facing a hostile environment and staying scared and frightened in bed. Sometimes the bed won but the song also tapped into a sense of defiance to be who i am. There was a sense of exhiliration too when i connected with people who got this track or the way of living rather than existing it sung about.
In a very different way musically which excited me in a whole new way (the whole album) Out to get you touched simlar feelings and was played so often at night in the darkness before going to sleep. Ya ho, really hard, johhny yen, make for this city so many, lost a friend, porcupine, she's a star, crash etc, etc. Anyway, that's enough for me just this moment -love mr yen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:20 pm 

For months, every night when I got in bed and worried myself to sleep thinking about my daughters impending open heart surgery to correct her 3 congenital heart defects, I listened to Slow Right Down.

That song had a tremendously grounding effect on me. Helped me immensely!

Bob in MD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:41 pm 
Ring the bells, for reasons i dont want to go into : ((

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:25 pm 
The more I experince life, the more James lyrics have been reflective. I also like a lot of Manics stuff, but manics seem to write about the bigger picture, whilst james come in at a personal level. The lyrics tackle deep subjects, but the music is written in such an uplifting way it can't be described as misery music (tho suppose lullaby is a tough one!)

Ring the bells- 'theres nothing challenging me', and that instrumental playing out you can just escape with. I've felt I need a new begining a few times, and that song helped just about keep me out of depression when I split up eight years ago, and I'm dipping in again at the moment after hitting another brick wall.

Sound- for similar reasons.

Top of the world- the violin solo touches the soul...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 pm 

Good thread... like others I'll share the songs but not the reason for them

Out to Get You, Someone's Got It In For Me, Ring the Bells, Upside just to name a few off the top of my head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 pm 

out to get you, one of the three , sometimes - in fact most of the Laid album :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:30 pm 

Sticking to just the new stuff (post 2007) Oh My Heart, I Wanna Go Home, Not So Strong, Porcupine, Shine & Dust Motes could all have been written about me, and that is a mere indication of what these songs mean to me. The feelings evoked by the old stuff like Five-0(see Kaiedoscope), Say Something(see Crazy) & Someones Got It In For Me(see Bubbles) have all been surpassed and superseded by what my ears have been treated to for the past wee while. :-)

But I would say that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 am 
sport wrote:
For months, every night when I got in bed and worried myself to sleep thinking about my daughters impending open heart surgery to correct her 3 congenital heart defects, I listened to Slow Right Down.

That song had a tremendously grounding effect on me. Helped me immensely!

Bob in MD

I hope it all turned out ok for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 am 
Got home from work late last night and found myself very moved by the posts in reply to the thread. It was pretty inspring stuff, whether reasons were given or not and i would hate anybody to put stuff down and then feel uncomfortable about it. Ring the bells and top of the world, are also huge to me. Some of the live renditions such of TOTW such as the one i saw at wembley arena on the millionaires tour have been (clumsy, inadequate description) other wordly and extraordinarily beautiful to me.
Sport, i really hope you're daughter is doing fine now, that really got me that coming in late (always takes me a whlle before i can wind down to sleep) to see that, so much so i scored the net for the song you mentioned but couldn't find it, if anybody knows a link to that i would be grateful.
hey In a very different way when i was desperately ill with clinical depression, was losing my job and had split up from my partner and missing my son (who was 4 and a half at the time) desperately. Normally so close i was truggling to connect through the fog with him, he began to hear me playing Ma and suddenly we were grinning all over the show, hugging, dancing and laughing together to upside Downside.
For a final word this comment by theoss nails a lot of the James experience for me personally, a top line - "The more I experince life, the more James lyrics have been " love you people

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am 
Bloomin eck trust Sir cumsize here to mess up, i missed out the last "slightly" vital word of the quote that should have read

"The more I experince life, the more James lyrics have been reflective"

I'm off now to apply for the editors job for the Murdoch Allegator Express.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm 
Got the Shakes, generally speaking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 pm 

Thank you "him over there" and j93.

My little girl is doing very well.

j93, give me your email address, ill send you the song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 pm 
yes you can read my new book "James made me an emotional wreck" inc bonus cd feat. out to get you, sometimes, say something, walking the ghost, shes a star & commit suicide "tomorrow" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 pm 
Nice one strutter, emotive, punchy, i have just got to get to the paper shop tomorrow, it must be my destiny calling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 pm 
P.S. - Very powerful song (Loved hearing it live at the MEN dec 2010)

Heavens & Waltzing Along - Always brighten a dark day for me....

We're Going to miss you.....

The list could go on and on and on....

Post subject: re PS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm 
Thanks for your post torchy -i agree with what you say about htose songs. PS reminds me of someone i know over the years and still worry about, i could relate to the song too. I remember that on the Laid tour with the fire backdrop, pretty brethtaking along with five o. That guitar break on five o never fails to hit me in the guts whenever i hear it too for many reasons i know not why, pure magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm 

I've posted about this before, but here it goes again anyway. Not So Strong - I listened to it over and over again on one particular morning this year, when what was facing me that day was the hardest thing ever in my life, and I could not see how I was going to get myself up to get through it. Having the refrain of 'get up,get up, get up' going through my head in the face of defeat, was a massive inspiration to me to pick myself up and do what I had to do that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 pm 

anet or a gun wrote:
I've posted about this before, but here it goes again anyway. Not So Strong - I listened to it over and over again on one particular morning this year, when what was facing me that day was the hardest thing ever in my life, and I could not see how I was going to get myself up to get through it. Having the refrain of 'get up,get up, get up' going through my head in the face of defeat, was a massive inspiration to me to pick myself up and do what I had to do that day.

x x x x x
James r very inspirational

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 pm 

I dont know what song suits today, but certain lyrics might help . . .have sadly lost one of our pets today :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 am 
sport wrote:
Thank you "him over there" and j93.

My little girl is doing very well.

j93, give me your email address, ill send you the song.

That's great to hear.

Here's to a long life...