It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Platt Fields 1985
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:33 pm 
Did anybody go to the free gig in 1985 where Simply Red were top of bill? I saw James that year supporting The Smiths and at the free concert? I forgot about Platt Fields until recent searches on tinternet :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:37 pm 
Me - i was there - there's a thread about Terry & Gerry further down - cos they were playing too and Marc Riley and the Creepers. I remmeber thinking hucknall was a pratt - prancing round the stage with a balloon!!

Also saw James supporting the Smiths at Hanley Hall - March 05 - best gig ever I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:39 pm 
pubgirl - you weren't my bird at the time were you???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:01 am 
http://www.thestoneroses.co.uk/profile.html - interesting that that gig was described as 'The seeds of the scene that would eventually, and rather irritatingly, be tagged 'Madchester', were sown in August of that year when the cities new batch of elite bands. Simply Red, James, Easterhouse etc. performed at a free festival at Platt Fields park and then a whole clutch of disparate outfits sprinkled across the city.' - I think its under the M60 now.

Post subject: Platt Fields 1985
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:04 am 
Never hear this gig mentioned, had forgotten about it myself until I searched it on google! Seem to remember it was a hot August day and plenty of beer was drunk. A pic of one of our gang (female) threw a pair of nics on stage and a pic with Mick Hucknall (Cabbage Patch Doll, as my dad called him) holding them in the air made it into the MEN that week! Easterhouse played too and some reggae band was on earlier?! Only looked into this gig cos our local agents brother in law used to play bass for Simply Red but he did not know if he had done this gig so I started investigating ........

Was nobodys bird altho some old irish guy thought i was his perfect irish women with my then gothic black hair etc....

Anyone go to free gig at Heaton Park simalar time, think The Membranes played?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:56 am 
yep, I was there, was about 16 and had just started going out with a lovely goth girl......one of first dates.....aahh.....

was a glorious day, free music, loads of beer.......

Post subject: Re: Platt Fields 1985
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:15 pm 
Saw Marc Riley and the Creepers. The best act there. Fan for life.