It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Would this stop piracy?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:56 am 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11547279

Discuss...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:18 pm 
Yep, i'd stop nicking of the airwaves for a quid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
Runaground wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11547279

Discuss...

It would kill itunes coz there's no way I'd pay 79p for a sub standard version of a song if i could get the full CD quality for a couple of quid. The main reason why it will never happen - it's much cheaper to keep them digitally in one location than distribute actual CDs and everyone gets to hear substandard versions of your music whilst the companies still make all the money. There is no way they are going to sell mp3 files for less than twice the amount you pay for the CD despite it being a fraction of the cost.

Bands should just give albums/ep's away free with a ticket to see them live or selling the albums for a couple of pounds at gigs. Make the money themselves and invest in making a new album in the way they want to. If they are good i'd buy a ticket just knowing i'll walk home with some new unique music.

It always baffles me how you can turn up to a concert you've paid £30 for to see the merchandisers selling CDs at £12 (even for support acts) when you could buy them for £6 on amazon etc?

If you want me to listen to your new music dont rip me off when I go to see you 'cause I wont be coming back again - there are 20,000 other bands I could buy music for less or listen to for free, I've already seen you now - I dont NEED to see you again - unless you're fucking amazing or I am motivated enough to spend £12 (wtf?) to listen to your new record and want to hear more!

At the end of the day the music is just there to promote the tours nowadays not a tour to support an album.

It'd just take one band to sack off the record company and sell their CD/mp3 album on the website at £1+postage as they announce tour tickets go on sale, to arrive a week before the tour starts, and they'd be minted. Are there any bands brave enough to do it and to tour to enough people to make it worth while?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:50 pm 

I read that article earlier today.

I don't see how you can sell CD's for a quid, though I assume the article is only referring to downloads. However i do get miffed that you can often buy cd's from mass retailers sometime after they're released (to shift stock) for a smaller cost than you may get charged on iTunes. iTunes is a bit of a rip off given that you're not getting the better quality hard copy. If anything I think the download album price (on places like iTunes) should go down to maybe three or four quid. People (like me) will still want to buy hard copies on cd, but even then I think they could be a bit cheaper. A pound is ridiculous though, for either medium. You're paying for the artist's work, and also all the subsidiary issues that go into making the music including capturing and distributing it. Cheaper yes, but let's not get silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:00 am 
mr dragon wrote:
I read that article earlier today.

I don't see how you can sell CD's for a quid, though I assume the article is only referring to downloads. However i do get miffed that you can often buy cd's from mass retailers sometime after they're released (to shift stock) for a smaller cost than you may get charged on iTunes. iTunes is a bit of a rip off given that you're not getting the better quality hard copy. If anything I think the download album price (on places like iTunes) should go down to maybe three or four quid. People (like me) will still want to buy hard copies on cd, but even then I think they could be a bit cheaper. A pound is ridiculous though, for either medium. You're paying for the artist's work, and also all the subsidiary issues that go into making the music including capturing and distributing it. Cheaper yes, but let's not get silly.

I think the number of CD's you see in discount stores for 99p proves that you can sell them for a quid and iTunes could certainly sell them for that, As for the artist getting paid then a percentage of £1 is better than a percentage of nothing, which is what they get from an illegal download. To quote Depeche Mode (not something I do a lot) "everything counts in large amounts"

I think it's the way forward. It might even get the" two CD's a year" brigade to buy and try more music. Imagine how long the X factor would last then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 pm 

Runaground wrote:

I think the number of CD's you see in discount stores for 99p proves that you can sell them for a quid and iTunes could certainly sell them for that,

I don't know how it works with iTunes in terms of revenue profits and overheads, but I would question de facto selling cd's at that price. The cd's you see in discount stores have probably eventually got to that particular 'price' because the distributors need to shift already existing stock, left over, after they initially produced/made and released the product at a higher price- ie a certain amount of money has been recouped from the production costs in terms of revenue and profit. Though I'd certainly agree cd's could be sold for slightly cheaper than they are right now.

However, I also think we should be respecting artists rights regarding their own products in terms of 'value'. Cheapening the products a talented artist produces - market-wise - can devalue they're overall intrinsic 'worth'. In short- I don't think a James album/cd is only 'worth' one pound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:37 am 

It's impossible to stop the free digital distribution of music because anything can digitally be recorded through software that will record anything that is played through your computer speakers, for that reason there will always be ways of recording it and sending it over the internet in a variety of ways. Until people accept this and realise that this is the now the way of things we can never move forward.

The best way to get fans to support you is to give the music away but offer additional 'value add' services like James have with their recent VIP packages which seemed to be very popular. There are loads of other things bands can do to offer fans some sort of unique experience that they can make money from. The music is the bait - if people love it they will want other things too.