It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Come Home 1989 Video.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:40 am 
Just wondering if anyone has this video? I've never seen this version before and I don't think Youtube has either.

http://www.oneofthethree.co.uk/videos/comehome1989.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:47 am 
ive got it! s'where the re-released sit down vid comes from. tis good. get it if possible although not sure youd be able to watch...?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:55 pm 

Mike&Janane wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has this video? I've never seen this version before and I don't think Youtube has either.

I think I got on my harddisk maybe I can make a copy for you

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:51 pm 
You're right Jabbys, We get blocked from many videos from UK. I thought music videos were meant to attract people's attention for record sales. I can see the point of them getting something from sites like Youtube for using the videos, but to lock viewers out from watching the videos isn't too smart either.
I wouldn't want to advertise my car forsale in a small town rather than (versus) a bigger town with more potential buyers.

It's like the radios around my town. We did have two rock stations, one classic rock and one (everyday rock) station. Two weeks ago the rock station turned country. How many more fecking country music stations do we need here. I know most new music sucks these days but damn, rock to country is just dumb, especially since they already have popular country music stations around.

Why didn't they turn into an Indie Music station that plays music that others don't, music like james...

But this is how marketing works, they seek after the popular instead of making their own popular. Easier to steal from what others already have..

PS, Sorry for going on, (shooting me mouth) Pressure's On...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 pm 
johnbiek wrote:
Mike&Janane wrote:

I think I got on my harddisk maybe I can make a copy for you

John
John that would be cool. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:21 pm 

Mike&Janane wrote:
You're right Jabbys, We get blocked from many videos from UK. I thought music videos were meant to attract people's attention for record sales. I can see the point of them getting something from sites like Youtube for using the videos, but to lock viewers out from watching the videos isn't too smart either.

It works both ways across the pond Mike. I've been sent links for Youtube videos that are only available in the US, or just not available in the UK for some reason. I also think it's a bit daft to be honest.

Mike&Janane wrote:
But this is how marketing works, they seek after the popular instead of making their own popular.

Quite. Some of it's just downright laziness. They do their market research and look for an easy target/existing demographic to exploit. Accountancy and money, not necessarily a passionate love of the product you want to promote or sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:41 pm 
I taped it off MTV2, must been the late '90s, and eventually I transferred it to DVD (I still have it somewhere), ripped it to mpeg and upped to Youtube in 2007. Then my account was taken down for copyright infringement (naughty me) and I'm not sure where the mpeg is now. Probably some unidentified HD in the back room.

If I find it, I'll up it.

It was commercially available on "Indie Top 20" video collection 3 (inbetween Spacemen 3 and the KLF - ah, what glorious days for music they were ... ). The original "Sit Down" was on Indie Top 20 video collection 2, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:04 pm 
mr dragon wrote:
Mike&Janane wrote:

It works both ways across the pond Mike. I've been sent links for Youtube videos that are only available in the US, or just not available in the UK for some reason. I also think it's a bit daft to be honest.

Mike&Janane wrote:
But this is how marketing works, they seek after the popular instead of making their own popular.

Quite. Some of it's just downright laziness. They do their market research and look for an easy target/existing demographic to exploit. Accountancy and money, not necessarily a passionate love of the product you want to promote or sell.
I didn't know that mr.dragon. I heard a couple years ago that UK was blocked on Youtube but thought a deal or something was later worked out. I guess that's why james has a UK record label, and a American record label contract.
I think it's unfair for the artist to suffer from lack of exposure to the public because of these rights record companies muscle over. To be fair the record companies should have to give access to all.

Seems there was two music videos for Come Home (1989 & 1990), as well as Sit Down, (1989 &1991). This is a list of all the videos from Oneofthethree.
http://www.oneofthethree.co.uk/videos/promovids.htm
This 1989 Come Home is the only one I've never seen before.

Paranormalhandy, that would be great if you was able to do that, If you still have it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:53 pm 

Mike&Janane wrote:
I didn't know that mr.dragon. I heard a couple years ago that UK was blocked on Youtube but thought a deal or something was later worked out. I guess that's why james has a UK record label, and a American record label contract.
I think it's unfair for the artist to suffer from lack of exposure to the public because of these rights record companies muscle over. To be fair the record companies should have to give access to all.

Yes, I remember that Mike. Though it wasn't Youtube that was blocked, it was just a certain amount of music videos. It varied as well; you could see some videos by a certain artist but not others- I assume that had something to do with which record company they recorded the song with, or something like that. I can't remember the exact details of why, and what happened in the end though. Someone else might know.

I have two minds about some of these copyright issues because of the business I work in. Nowadays i think if it's internet related and perhaps involving film clips (not an actual whole movie) or music, and also just merely acting in a promotional way for the artist, it's become a grey area and probably should just be accepted. It gets complicated though. For example if someone wants to 'borrow' a professionally taken photograph for use (in a very low res way) on the internet they're still potentially breaking copyright; however if they're just using it personally - say - on an internet forum chat room or slotting it in a home made video clip again on the internet, it's not so bad and I have no problem with that. It's when people start 'using' (without consent) other people's professional images for their own individual personal promotion in some way, or something related for their own profit, it then becomes a legal copyright issue and I'm completely opposed to them doing it. The same goes for all other professional media in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:21 pm 
Paranormalhandy wrote:
I taped it off MTV2, must been the late '90s, and eventually I transferred it to DVD (I still have it somewhere), ripped it to mpeg and upped to Youtube in 2007. Then my account was taken down for copyright infringement (naughty me) and I'm not sure where the mpeg is now. Probably some unidentified HD in the back room.

If I find it, I'll up it.

It was commercially available on "Indie Top 20" video collection 3 (inbetween Spacemen 3 and the KLF - ah, what glorious days for music they were ... ). The original "Sit Down" was on Indie Top 20 video collection 2, as well.

i assumed he was talking about the whole video rather than just the song. swhat i get for not clicking links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:02 am 
Maybe, when Come Home Live eventually comes out on DVD, we might get other things (the Rough Trade promos, the Futurama and Halifax TV footage from 1989, Piccadilly Rooftop footage, 1994 Glasto, etc) included as extras.

I once had a (home-recorded) video of James at WOMAD in 1985 (which I lost years before I could convert it to DVD, sadly). It's great, Tim falls off the (very shallow) stage at one point mid-dance, and it looks like it's recorded in a beer tent - now even that would make a great extra!

(Dreams ... )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:20 pm 
would be briiliant if they put some of the early venues in the box set. I love how Tim throws himself on the floor durhng What For and it would be great to see all the concert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:19 pm 
Amazing concert - I had the Video which I bought after hearing the orginal Gold Mother for the first time back in 1990.

It needs to be brought out on DVD - are you hearing JAMES Management and Band.

That was the James I fell in love with (sounds a bit mushy). Love the Sunday Morning track - great gig, great video and I want it to be a great DVD or Blu-ray (am I pushing the boat out?????).