http://indiediscs.com/houseoflove.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:45 am 
No they are not..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:53 am 
Anonymous wrote:
No they are not..

It's a matter of opinion. The Mighty Lemon Drops are another great band.

http://indiediscs.com/mld.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:55 am 
I put them close to James. Not quite equal...not enough material...but Babe Rainbow and the Butterfly album are excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:59 am 
indiediscs.com wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
No they are not..

It's a matter of opinion. The Mighty Lemon Drops are another great band.

http://indiediscs.com/mld.html

They are a great band, I do own most of their albums. But their output is nowhere near as immense and varied as James, and the live shows weren't in the same league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:01 pm 
indiediscs, why dont you just log in and add the link to your profile - that way you can post normally without everything being seen as spam - people might click a bit more then too, without you trying to persuade them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:14 pm 

Jabbsy wrote:
indiediscs, why dont you just log in and add the link to your profile - that way you can post normally without everything being seen as spam - people might click a bit more then too, without you trying to persuade them.

OK Jabbsy
I'm also indiediscs.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 pm 
it works, i just clicked on the website link for the first time ever!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:34 pm 

Jabbsy wrote:

So do you like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:37 pm 
James and The HOL both had their biggest "indie" hits rehauled and reworked by Fontana - consequently "Shine On" and "Sit Down" always seem to be near each other on indie compilations of a certain vintage.

HOL's discography isn't as extensive or strong as James' admittedly, but all the Peel Session compilations and retrospectives is something I think James could really do with. Plus they "did a Hey Ma" in 2005, by reforming with the classic line up (Terry Bickers included) and releasing a fantastic comeback album. I saw them at the Arches in Glasgow and they were great.

There's a lot of love in my house for the House of Love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:02 pm 
crazee2000 wrote:
Jabbsy wrote:

So do you like it?

I think its good - but seems like you're doing what Dream Thrum used to do and nick loads of stuff from OOTT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 pm 

I likes House of Love, also saw them on their comeback tour too, pretty good. And wow The Mighty Lemon Drops were soooo good. No oone has ever even remotely come close as being as great as James for me though. Best band ever to grace a stage ever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:26 pm 

17th Bus wrote:
crazee2000 wrote:
Jabbsy wrote:

So do you like it?

I think its good - but seems like you're doing what Dream Thrum used to do and nick loads of stuff from OOTT.

OOTT? Didin't gonear them. Info from other sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:00 am 
bus talking crap again.... its got the album info, band info and some vid clips... can pretty much be found anywhere - not just oott

i did think the james info was a bit lacking/ ancient/past tense - its nice that it harks back to the very first seeds but james are quite a lot more than that now and its not immediately recognisable if someone just stumbled across it like... 'oh, theres a link for james, i wonder what theyre doing now - oh, still talking about the foundations of the band, clearly not done much since.... all those albums listed there - didnt know theyd done all that back in the day'

good work though - its pretty and some other good bands on there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 am 

Jabbsy wrote:
bus talking crap again.... its got the album info, band info and some vid clips... can pretty much be found anywhere - not just oott

i did think the james info was a bit lacking/ ancient/past tense - its nice that it harks back to the very first seeds but james are quite a lot more than that now and its not immediately recognisable if someone just stumbled across it like... 'oh, theres a link for james, i wonder what theyre doing now - oh, still talking about the foundations of the band, clearly not done much since.... all those albums listed there - didnt know theyd done all that back in the day'

good work though - its pretty and some other good bands on there

Thanks - with info, the site is about 80's bands so the little bio would be past tense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:57 pm 
There's a lot of interesting stuff about HOL in Dave Cavanagh's "My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For the Prize, the Creation Records Story" if you can find it (it's next to Maconie's "Folklore" on my bookshelf).

Post subject: HOL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:58 pm 
I've seen the HOL 32 times since i was 15 :) They do have their own website and rumour has it they are touring this year .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:25 pm 
You could (arguably) draw a lot of similarities between the HOL and James' albums (and not just the indie-to-major leap that happened to both bands at the dawn of the '90s).

(Draws breath ...)

The first "House of Love" album (in my eyes anyway) is the 1987 Rough Trade compilation of singles and b-sides. Althought it owes more to the Smiths comps than James' debut, it is - like "Stutter" - a polished version of their live set at the time.

1988's "House of Love" (on Creation) = "Strip Mine" - it's more murky and grim, but it's my favourite of their discog.

1989's "Spy in the House of Love" = "One Man Clapping" - in that it's a fan favourite (although thankfully not deleted). Like OMC it acts as a compilation of b-sides and rarities: although unlike OMC, it's a studio comp rather than a live album.

1990's "Butterfly Album" = "Gold Mother" for various reasons: Fontana's slightly heavy-handed reworking of old hits, the lack of one major old member of the band (Bickers = Whelan), and the fact it's the one album most lay people would remember.

1992's "Babe Rainbow" = "Seven": In the same way that (for casual purchasers at the time) "Seven" was overshadowed by 'Sit Down', so "Babe Rainbow" was overshadowed by 'Shine On'. It's a fantastic album, and home to minor hits which make non-fans go "oh yeah, I remember that one" - which is another similarity it has with "Seven".

1993's "Audience With The Mind" = "Laid", or possibly a bit of "Wah Wah". It's the album no one remembers, and the one that's kept off "best ofs". It's experimental (at least, for the House of Love) and marked the end of the band until 2005's reunion.

Now - if the HOL had returned in 1997 with a shiny Britpop sheen (and a guitar lick Natalie Imbruglia would steal for) then maybe they could have continued ... but as it was, they didn't.

Anyway, what was the question again? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 am 
HOL are a brill band, pity their website don't work!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:52 pm 
Has anyone heard this, its brand new I think Terry Bickers is playing on their forthcoming album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mRG9JhyxA 'Reminds me of love in a car'[url][/url]