It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:45 pm 
Some good, some bad, NO James.

The Cure has become so tiresome - I wish they would go away for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm 

They headlined in 04 and I saw about 40 minutes of their set and left so the parking lot wouldn't be such a nightmare. oh well. maybe I'll do a last minute trip and go to day 1 if I can get a press pass.. otherwise, over it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm 
I've seen the Cure twice - first time back on Kiss Me, Kiss me, Kiss Me - and they are just plain boring.

Same here about Day 1.

I may go to Day 1 - get my Moz, McCartney fix, and then spend Sat and Sunday in Vegas playing poker.

It is almost worth it to go Saturday to see what kind of trainwreck Winehouse shows up as - but chances are she won't even show at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:45 pm 

allikazoo wrote:

There's no line-up on that link. Not that I'm going anyway, but I could have fantasized about it.

Who's headlining day 1 then? Moz or Mac?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:50 pm 

its a small photo of it. the line up is here, macca's headlining. http://coachella.com/event/lineup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:50 pm 

that list on that page is mainly alphabetical order, on the main coachella page is the line up in order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 pm 

Bastard Paul McCartney headlines over Morrissey - no justice in this world!

Thanks for the info anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 pm 

The Cure - quite good but Robert Smith should update his personal appearance - the smeared lipstick and wayward hair routine is getting a bit tiresome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 pm 
anet or a gun wrote:
The Cure - quite good but Robert Smith should update his personal appearance - the smeared lipstick and wayward hair routine is getting a bit tiresome.

Not to mention the music...

The Cure is just Robert Smith. Not like its a band that has any members that have stayed put through the years. And he is yesterday's news.

I like some of the 80s cure stuff...but even then they were a bit overrated.

Anet - you can trash McCartney and I accept that. But don't tell me you like 'Friday I'm in Love' - that's one of the biggest pieces of trash that has ever come out. And from a 'goth' band...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:08 pm 

Not a huge fan, but they just remind me of heady partying days in the 80's. Stuff like Love Cats and Friday....... you can dance to, at least.
But I always thought Smith to be a pretentious looking wanker, who needed to clean his face up or have it slapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 pm 

That dance that girls do to Lovecats, where they extend and retract alternate arms in sequence while pretending their fingers are claws, still makes me shudder with revulsion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 pm 

yeah.. so my friend talked me into going. just to day 1 and 2. hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 pm 

bigdaddyostrich wrote:
That dance that girls do to Lovecats, where they extend and retract alternate arms in sequence while pretending their fingers are claws, still makes me shudder with revulsion

Nope - never did that one. Not guilty.

Didn't like Caterpillar much - it was all scratchy and screechy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:47 am 
I like the irony of people on a James forum judging another band by the singles it put out. If I had a tenner for every time someone on here had used the term "greatest hits fan" to describe someone who had no real idea of the worth of James' music, I'd be doing OK.

Anyone who wants to cast aspersions on The Cure and say they were overated should really go and listen to Disintergration or Wish and then make an educated judgement call. Fact is The Cure (or Robert Smith and his occasional friends if you prefer) have been making music since even I were a lad and have been pretty prolific by anyone's standards. Some of their output has been below par but then, with very few exceptions, all bands have their off days (see Bowie references in previous thread) but most of their albums are absolute gems. love them or hate them The Cure is a class act by any reasonable measure of the term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:16 pm 

Fair point, but a band has to have enough initial appeal, usually from one hearing their hits, to make you want to investigate the band further. If you don't like enough what you hear to start with, then you've got no incentive to go out and buy their lesser known stuff. Just about everyone I knew liked The Cure back in the 80's, but I just couldn't get far enough past Robert's Smith's posy look to want to buy anything beyond greatest hits. However, if you would like to recommend something, Runaground, that you think is a must listen to, then I would be willing to give them another try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:59 pm 
I have all the early Cure stuff (most on cassette) and have seen them live 2 times - 1st time 20 years ago - so I come at it with an informed opinion.

Maybe a couple of good songs on the early albums, but a lot of throw aways. Nothing appealing at all on the later stuff. To Anet's point - if they put out a new album, and I hear the new single on the radio and don't like it - according to Runaground I am obligated to buy the whole thing and listen to the whole thing - I have a feeling you don't do that because it is a ridiculous opinion. Can't afford nor do I have the time to listen to everyone's complete work.

The Cure at best is an OK band - way overrated when you consider their God status in Alternative rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:39 am 

Anyone else see The Cure performing on the Johnathon Ross show tonight?

How scary do they look now??? What a state!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 pm 
anet or a gun wrote:

not as scary as you, especially if you've got no hair straighteners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 pm 

Mice Merris 3 wrote:
anet or a gun wrote:

not as scary as you, especially if you've got no hair straighteners

I'm going to smack you and send you to bed in a minute, mice merris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:08 pm 

haha wow sorry I missed all that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next